Situations Vacant – Head Brewer
Looking for a Head Brewer
A bit about us
We’re the little black dress of the brewing industry. Rarely on the front cover but classy, stylish and well-tailored; subtly re-invented over the years. We know what we’re doing and we’re doing it right as we’ve been going 26 years now. That doesn’t mean we’re fixed and not open to ideas either though. Second generation family brewery on a small scale (10bbrl) so that we can keep the hands on and quality at the forefront of what we do. We care, all of us, from our driver Craig to our brewer Will and salesperson extraordinaire Diane. A small team but perfectly proportioned.
I (Elly) (director) (second generation) have been with the brewery 17 years and can’t imagine doing anything else. Being such a small team no one has 1 job and all muck in to get the job done. We are all passionate about our beer and we’re looking for someone with brewing expertise and experience to join the team.
Our forte is our bottle-conditioned range with barrel aging and mixed fermentations brewed by the side of session pales and Imperial stouts. We bottle in-house on our brilliant Meheen machine with 6 head filler, automatic capping and in line labeller. We have a solid core cask range with monthly one-offs and seasonal specials to spice things up. We’re also producing a range of keg beers including a Munich style lager. No filtration throughout.
We’re not craft but our beers are crafted. We have something to suit everyone and all brewed to perfection. Our standards are extremely high and we are SALSA accredited.
So, in short…you’ll fit the role and we’ll look after you well if…
- you have an innate feel for beer and its needs
- you’re willing to work more than just Monday to Friday (beer comes first) (not more than 43 hours per week is expected)
- you don’t have a massive ego as you need to respect and work alongside the rest of the team (you are not god but I’ll make your coffee from time to time)
- it would be great if you have brewing qualifications such as IBD Diploma, BSc Brewing Science or better.
- you can research beer and formulate recipes including mixed fermentation and fruit beers and have your eye on the trade/beer fashions (although we don’t follow as prefer to do our own thing)
- you strive for the perfect beer
- you have at least 3 years experience working in a commercial brewery
- you have experience of HACCP and preferably the SALSA scheme too and can implement and maintain standards
- you can plan and organise ahead to make sure we don’t run out of malt etc yet be flexible when plans change
- you are confident enough to lead brewery tours (speak to 20 to 30 people) and have good communication and interpersonal skills
- you are physically fit as our plant is 10bbrl with no automation and there is a lot of heavy lifting
- you love cleaning
It would be helpful if you live close to Bowburn or can relocate as the beer needs monitoring over the weekend.
Salary will depend on experience.
If this is you, send your CV with a covering note to:
6A Bowburn North Ind Est